In the tranquil town of Spring Hill, Florida, where scenic drives and peaceful neighborhoods are a part of daily life, a hidden danger threatens the safety of motorists – drunk driving.
The charm of Spring Hill's streets can quickly turn into a perilous journey when alcohol impairs a driver's judgment, reflexes, and decision-making. The choice to drive while intoxicated often ends in tragedy, resulting in crashes with serious injuries or even death.
Motorists who have been injured, or who have lost a loved one to someone driving under the influence (DUI) may have a personal injury claim.
Our experienced Spring Hill drunk driving accident lawyers can provide guidance and comfort during this difficult time. We understand your rights and will help you find a path forward after a life-altering incident.
Call our office at (813) 565-3318 for a free consultation.
Why Choose Hancock Injury Attorneys?
When it comes to handling a drunk driving accident claim in Spring Hill, you want a legal team that understands your unique needs and prioritizes your well-being.
Hancock Injury Attorneys has a proven track record of successfully representing clients in drunk driving accident cases. We have the knowledge and expertise to navigate the complexities of these claims.
With offices in the Spring Hill area, we are familiar with the local and state regulations that govern impaired driving offenses. Our firm has a history of securing fair compensation for clients in Spring Hill and beyond.
We fight tirelessly for your rights and to hold the responsible parties accountable. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a drunk driving accident can take on victims and their families. We approach each case with empathy and a commitment to seeking justice. Contact us today. We can help!
Our Office Locations and Headquarters
Our primary offices are located in Tampa at 1317 West Fletcher Ave., Tampa, Florida 33612. You can reach us by phone at the Tampa office at (813) 915-1110. We have additional offices in Wesley Chapel at 2224 Ashley Oaks Circle, Suite 102-E, Wesley Chapel, Florida 33544. Call the Wesley Chapel office at (813) 537-6927. We serve clients in Tampa, Spring Hill, Wesley Chapel, and throughout central Florida.
Drunk Driving by the Numbers
According to a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 7,500 people were killed in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver over nine years.
Alcohol-impaired driving laws make it illegal to drive with a BAC at or above a specified level (0.05 percent or 0.08 percent, depending on the state). For people younger than 21, zero-tolerance laws make it illegal to drive with any measurable amount of alcohol in their systems.
Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) notes that, nationwide, every 45 minutes someone dies in a drunk-driving crash, and every 90 seconds someone is injured in a drunk-driving crash.
Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
Under Florida law, both drunk driving and driving under the influence of other substances are generally covered under the same statute. The legal term used is Driving Under the Influence (DUI). It encompasses being impaired by alcohol, drugs, or any controlled substance.
DUI is proved by impairment of normal faculties or an unlawful blood alcohol or breath alcohol level of .08 or above. The penalties upon conviction are the same, regardless of how the offense is proven. Penalties for DUI offenses can vary based on factors like blood alcohol concentration and prior convictions.
What Should I Do After a Drunk Driving Accident in Spring Hill?
After an accident with a drunk driver in Spring Hill, Florida:
- Prioritize Safety: Ensure your safety and the safety of others involved. If necessary, move to a safe location and call 911 for immediate medical assistance if anyone is injured.
- Contact Law Enforcement: Report the accident to the local police or sheriff's department. It's crucial to have an official accident report, especially in cases involving drunk driving. Let the police know you suspect the other driver is impaired.
- Avoid Confrontation: While emotions may run high, it's essential to avoid confrontations with the drunk driver. Let law enforcement handle the situation.
- Exchange Information: Collect the other driver's information, including their name, contact details, insurance information, and license plate number.
- Gather Witness Information: If there are any witnesses to the accident, collect their names and contact information. They may support your case.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, damage to vehicles, and any visible injuries. You need these for insurance claims and legal proceedings.
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if you don't believe you're seriously injured, it's wise to get a medical evaluation. Injuries can manifest later, and a medical record can be vital for your claim.
- Contact an Attorney: Reach out to Hancock Injury Attorneys. Our lawyers are experienced in handling drunk driving accident cases in Spring Hill. They can provide guidance and help you navigate the legal process.
- Notify Your Insurance: Inform your insurance company about the accident but be cautious when discussing details. Let your attorney handle any statements to the insurance company.
By taking these steps, you'll protect your rights and seek appropriate compensation after an accident involving a drunk driver in Spring Hill, Florida. Your lawyer will keep you up to date on the legal proceedings.
How Does a Driver’s Intoxication Impact a Personal Injury Claim?
A driver's intoxication can significantly impact a personal injury claim in several ways. Drunk driving is a clear example of negligence. When a driver chooses to operate a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, they breach their duty of care to others on the road.
Intoxication can lead to erratic driving behavior, poor judgment, and impaired reaction times, all of which can be documented through evidence such as police reports, witness statements, and toxicology reports. The intoxicated driver is typically considered at fault for the accident, making them liable for the injuries and damages incurred by other parties involved.
In many cases, the drunk driver may face criminal charges for DUI (Driving Under the Influence) or related offenses. These charges can strengthen your personal injury claim.
If you've suffered serious injuries due to the accident, the fact that the driver was intoxicated can enhance your claim for substantial compensation to cover medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost income.
The at-fault driver's insurance may cover your injuries and damages, but the policy limits may not fully compensate you. An experienced attorney can explore additional avenues for compensation.
In tragic cases where a drunk driving accident results in a fatality, surviving family members may pursue a wrongful death claim against the intoxicated driver.
It's important to be aware of the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in your state. Filing your claim within the designated time frame is crucial. In Florida, the statute of limitations for a personal injury or wrongful death claim is typically two years. If you don’t file your claim within the required timeframe, you may lose your right to seek compensation.
A driver's intoxication can strongly support your personal injury claim by establishing negligence and liability. The experienced Spring Hill personal injury attorneys at Hancock Injury Attorneys can navigate the legal complexities, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate for your rights to ensure you receive fair compensation.
How Can Hancock Injury Attorneys Help Me with a Drunk Driving Accident Claim?
Hancock Injury Attorneys can provide invaluable assistance with your drunk driving accident claim in several ways:
- Legal Experience: Our team has extensive experience in handling cases involving drunk driving accidents. We understand the legal intricacies and can navigate the process effectively.
- Investigation: We conduct a thorough investigation into the accident, gathering evidence such as police reports, witness statements, and any available surveillance footage to strengthen your case.
- Assessment of Damages: We help assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. This ensures you seek fair compensation.
- Negotiation: Our attorneys are skilled negotiators. We can engage with the at-fault party's insurance company to secure a settlement that reflects the true cost of your injuries and losses.
- Court Representation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, we are prepared to represent your interests in court, advocating for your rights and seeking the compensation you deserve.
- Expert Witnesses: We have access to expert witnesses who can provide professional opinions on issues such as accident reconstruction, medical treatment, and the long-term impact of injuries.
- Understanding of Local Laws: With offices in the Spring Hill area, we understand the local laws and can provide relevant guidance.
- Compassion: We approach your case with empathy and a commitment to supporting you through this challenging time. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll of a drunk driving accident.
- Communication: Our team keeps you informed and involved throughout the process, ensuring you understand your options and are an active participant in decision-making.
- Maximized Compensation: Our goal is to maximize the compensation you receive, helping you rebuild your life after the accident.
What Compensation May I Recover for These Types of Claims?
In a drunk driving accident claim involving serious injuries or wrongful death, you may recover compensation, including:
- Medical Expenses: Compensation for all medical costs related to the accident, including hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation, prescription medications, and future medical needs.
- Rehabilitation Costs: Coverage for expenses related to physical therapy, occupational therapy, and other forms of rehabilitation necessary for recovery.
- Future Medical Expenses: Compensation for anticipated medical expenses and ongoing treatment, particularly in cases of long-term or permanent injuries.
- Lost Wages: Reimbursement for the income you lost due to your injuries, which can include both past and future earnings if your ability to work is impacted long-term.
- Pain and Suffering: Damages for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the accident and its consequences.
- Property Damage: Coverage for repair or replacement of your vehicle and any personal property damaged in the accident.
- Wrongful Death Damages: In cases of wrongful death, compensation may include funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, and loss of companionship.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the drunk driver for their reckless behavior and to deter others from driving under the influence.
- Loss of Consortium: This compensates a spouse or family member for the loss of companionship, affection, and support resulting from the injuries or death of a loved one.
The availability and amount of compensation can vary based on the specific circumstances of the case, the severity of injuries, and the applicable laws in your state.
An experienced lawyer at Hancock Injury Attorneys can explain your rights. We will help you pursue the compensation you deserve after a drunk driving accident resulting in serious injuries or wrongful death.
Contact Hancock Injury Attorneys
Choosing Hancock Injury Attorneys means having a dedicated and experienced legal team on your side, committed to your well-being and the success of your drunk driving accident claim. We strive to make this difficult journey as smooth as possible, allowing you to focus on your recovery while we handle the legal complexities.
You don't have to navigate this challenging journey alone. We are dedicated to providing you with the legal guidance and advocacy you need to seek justice and fair compensation. Let us be your trusted allies in this pursuit.
Call Hancock Injury Lawyers at (813) 565-3318 or fill out the contact form on this website.