According to a national study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, during the years from 1990 to 2006, an estimated 147,696 people sought medical care in emergency rooms across after being injured in golf cart accidents. Approximately 4,600 of those injured were children 16 years old or younger.
Common injuries resulting from golf cart accidents include passenger ejection, particularly when making sharp turns. Golf carts are typically not equipped with seat belts. Children are especially vulnerable to ejection, because of their small size and their feet don’t touch the floorboards.
What is the Statute of Limitations in Florida
Generally, the statute of limitations in Florida for an injury resulting from the operation of a golf cart is 4 years from the date of the accident. This means that your lawsuit against the owner and/or driver of the golf cart must be filed in the correct court within 4 years of the accident, or else your case may be forever barred. This is a difficult area of the law, so please consult with our law office regarding the specific facts of your case.
With the intent to provide safety protections while operating golf carts, particularly for our children, it is important to be aware of other statutory provisions:
- Florida statutes define a golf cart as a motor vehicle designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes
- The operation of a golf cart on the public street is prohibited except on those public streets specifically designated for use by golf carts or within a self-contained retirement community.
- A golf cart may be operated only during the hours between sunrise and sunset unless the golf cart is equipped with headlights, brake lights, turn signals, and a windshield.
- A golf cart may not be operated on public streets by any person under the age of 14
- A violation of this statute is a noncriminal traffic infraction, as well as evidence of negligence in a personal injury case
Golf Cart Accidents & Injuries in Tampa
At Hancock Injury Attorneys, we have the experience, skill, and knowledge to win your case. Contact us for a free confidential initial consultation at 813-915-1110. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Check out what Julie had to say about us on Avvo:
Mike Hancock’s firm handled my personal injury lawsuit. He and his
entire firm were dedicated, compassionate, responsive and excellent
legal professionals. The outcome far exceeded my expectations and I
wholeheartedly recommend Mike Hancock & Associates.
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐