A brain injury can drastically change your life. Whether you hit your head in a car accident or a fall after slipping on something unexpected, knowing what to look out for cognitively is important. You may have just been dazed by an accident, or had a brief loss of consciousness, but otherwise initially appear to be fine. However, you may later develop memory loss, headaches, cognitive problems, irritability, and a change in personality that may only be noticed by close family and friends. These are known as mild traumatic brain injuries.
Your brain is one of the most complex organs in your body, so protecting your head is critical to staying healthy. Any significant head trauma could result in a loss of cognitive function or mobility. If you suffered a head injury while riding a bike, driving, or even shopping at the grocery store, a seasoned catastrophic injury attorney could help you pursue a civil lawsuit.
Traumatic brain injuries demand serious attention, and victims often accrue substantial financial losses such as medical debt and lost earnings. If your accident was caused by someone else, you should not have to bear the burden of these damages.
If you are unsure of whether you have a valid legal claim arising from the accident or if you are at a loss with how to proceed, a Tampa brain injury lawyer can help. We can help you identify the responsible parties and give you the advice and counsel you need to move forward.
What are the Common Causes and Effects of Traumatic Brain Injuries?
If you do not know how to recognize a traumatic brain injury (TBI), you will not be able to seek the appropriate medical care. Everyone should be aware of the common cause and consequences of head trauma.
Any accident resulting in a strong impact or force to the head can lead to a TBI. Common causes of severe head trauma include vehicle collisions, bike accidents, and contact sports.
Depending on the severity of the accident, a TBI can cause cognitive impairment, decreased mental responsiveness, mood alteration, neurological damage, and other physical, mental, and behavioral effects. Other symptoms may include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Memory disruption
- Speech difficulties
- Fatigue and drowsiness
- Blurred vision
- Sensitivity to light or sound
Moderate to severe brain injuries could cause
- Slurred Speech
- Weakness or numbness in extremities
- Fluid draining from the ears or nose
Brain injuries can be extremely disruptive to a person’s life in ways that they never expected, or deserve. This can include:
- Maintaining personal and professional relationships
- Ability to focus on tasks
- Engaging in social activities
The amount of compensation you may receive can vary depending on your specific situation, so you should discuss your TBI symptoms and other damages with an experienced attorney.
How Does Comparative Fault Apply to Tampa Head Injury Cases?
The at-fault party in your case may claim you are partially responsible for your head injury to limit their financial liability for your damages. Fortunately, state law permits plaintiffs to recover compensation even if they are partially responsible for the accident.
Under the 2019 Florida Statutes § 768.81, an injured party may receive a reduced amount of damages award based on their percentage of fault. Even if a court finds you 80 percent at fault for total losses, you may still seek compensation for the remaining 20 percent of damages caused by other parties. If you have been accused of partial fault, a lawyer who regularly handles TBI cases could work with you to defend those allegations.
A Tampa Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney Could Handle the Details of Your Case
A severe head injury can uproot your life in a way you never expected. If your accident was caused by someone else, you could take a stand and fight for financial compensation. The legal steps involved with filing a lawsuit are complex, and you may be at a loss with how to proceed. Our Tampa traumatic brain injury lawyers can help!
At Hancock Injury Attorneys, we seek to help you gain the financial stability you need for your physical recovery. Click the button below for a free consultation so that you can focus on getting better while we take care of everything else.
Click here for a free consultation so that you can focus on healing while we take care of everything else.