Know What To Do After a Crush Injury

September 28, 2023 | By Hancock Injury Attorney
Know What To Do After a Crush Injury

A crush injury (CI) is a traumatic type of injury. They may also be referred to as a caught-in-between injury. A CI will become classified as a catastrophic injury if it results in permanent bodily damage. CIs happen most often as a result of workplace accidents or natural disasters.

Victims of CIs are more than often faced with extended hospital care, time away from work, and mounting medical bills. If you suffer a CI, you need to know what to do moving forward. In this article, we explain what to do after a CI and how a car accident lawyer can help you on the road to recovery.

Crush Injuries Explained

CIs result from continuous pressure on large muscles. These injuries most commonly occur in the arms and legs. They happen when an individual is caught under or in between two heavy objects, like heavy machinery or debris.

A CI can lead to compartment syndrome (CS). Compartment syndrome refers to any condition in which a structure is constricted within a space. This damages deep tissue, resulting in swelling and bleeding.

Tissue can only swell so much before the pressure redirects inwards to internal structures. This leads to loss of tissue and a build-up of acid in the body, both of which can be fatal.

Steps To Take Following A Crush Injury

If you or someone near you sustain a crush injury, follow these steps for first aid treatment:

  • Applying direct pressure over the injured area with a wet cloth or bandage
  • Raise the injured area above the level of your or the injured person’s heart, if possible
  • If there is suspicion of a head, neck, or spinal injury, immobilize those areas if possible
  • Limit movement to only the crushed area of the body
  • Call 911 or your local hospital for further medical treatment

Almost all CIs require evaluation by a medical professional. Many CIs result in lethal damage to the body, which is why it’s crucial for the outcome of your recovery that you seek medical treatment after a CI.

How A Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You

On top of being able to help you seek financial compensation for your injuries, an attorney can also do the following:

Inform You of Your Rights

Contact with objects and equipment is one of the top three work-related injury causes in the United States. Workers in agriculture, transportation, warehousing, and construction industries are most at risk for crush-related workplace injuries.

If you sustained a CI while on the job, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. An attorney can inform you of the rights and what they entitle you to.

Hold the At-Fault Party Accountable

Moreover, an attorney will be able to help identify the liable party responsible for your injuries. This is important because, after a crush injury leaves you injured, it is often difficult to identify who is accountable.

For example, if a piece of machinery crushes you while you are working at a construction site, anything from poor workplace safety conditions, machine malfunction, to another worker’s negligent actions could be responsible. You can’t file a personal injury claim if you don’t know who you’re filing it against. This is why you need an attorney to find and hold the at-fault party accountable.

Recommend Doctors and Medical Care

As lawyers, we’ve spent years building relationships with trusted doctors and medical professionals throughout the Tampa Bay area. We’ll be able to recommend the proper medical care to best treat your specific condition.

Tampa Bay Crush Injury Attorneys

At Hancock Injury Attorneys, we specialize in traumatic and catastrophic injuries including crush, burn, and traumatic brain injuries. We take care of the paperwork so that you can focus on your recovery. Contact us online or call us at (813) 901-1110 to schedule your free case consultation today.