If you have been injured by another driver’s negligence, it puts you in a difficult enough position. But if the at-fault driver has no insurance, the matter is that much more serious.
Florida law requires every motorist to carry personal injury protection (PIP), which you may turn to if the driver who leaves you injured has no insurance. If this is the challenging situation you find yourself in, don’t put off consulting with an experienced Florida car accident attorney.
PIP coverage is not as robust as the coverage that the driver’s liability policy would be. Yet it does cover the following losses, which can help considerably:
- 80 percent of the reasonable medical expenses you experience because of the accident
- 60 percent of the lost wages you experience because of the accident
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Besides your PIP coverage, you may also carry uninsured motorist coverage. It handles claims related to negligent motorists who don’t carry the insurance the law requires them to.
If you have an uninsured motorist policy, it will cover your claim much like the other driver’s policy would if he or she had one in place.
You aren’t required to buy uninsured motorist insurance. Yet, you do need to reject the coverage in writing when you buy car insurance. This makes it more likely that motorists like you do carry these policies.
The Insurance Process
Even if you carry uninsured motorist coverage through your own insurance provider, you should expect the insurance company to put profits first and attempt to keep your settlement as low as possible.
As such, there are several important steps you can take to help protect your claim from the outset:
- Seek medical attention early on (even if you don’t think you’ve been seriously injured) and follow your doctor’s orders and advice carefully
- Consult with a dedicated car accident attorney at your earliest opportunity
- Allow your attorney to handle the insurance company on your behalf (the less interaction you have with the insurance rep handling your claim, the less chance there is that he or she will trip you up – to keep your settlement low)
- Take a social media break while your claim is pending (the insurance company is only too happy to twist your posts in a manner that damages your claim)
Claims involving uninsured motorists can be exceptionally challenging. So, having professional legal counsel on your side is an excellent idea.
An Experienced Florida Car Accident Attorney Can Help
At Hancock Injury Attorneys in Florida, our seasoned car accident attorneys have extensive experience guiding claims like yours toward optimal outcomes that support our client’s rights and best interests.
Your recovery is too important to leave to chance. Please don’t wait to reach out and contact or call us at 813-527-9040 for more information today.