When Will I Recover Lost Wages After a Florida Car Accident?
Did you know that if you miss work because you were injured in a car accident, you could be entitled to compensation for lost wages? With the help of one of our qualified Florida car accident lawyers at Hancock Injury Attorneys, you can fight to get compensation for past and future lost wages alongside other expenses like mental anguish, medical bills, inconvenience, and pain and suffering.
So if a car accident injury leaves you out of work for weeks or months, you’re likely wondering how you’re supposed to pay. You’re probably also wondering how long it takes to get lost wages after a car accident in Florida.
Although the process can be challenging, there is light at the end of the tunnel. In this article, we share the basics you need to know about obtaining lost wages after a car accident, including how long it takes. After reading, reach out to our office to find out how Hancock Injury Attorneys can help you.
What Does the Term “Lost Wages” Mean?
Firstly, what are lawyers talking about when they discuss “lost wages”? Simply put, the term lost wages refers to the money you would have earned if you hadn’t missed work due to your accident injury. To recoup lost earnings during this timeframe, you’ll claim them from an insurance policy, a legal settlement, or a verdict if you’ve filed a lawsuit.
How Long Will It Take To Get Lost Wages From A Car Accident In Florida?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to determine how quickly you’ll get your lost wages from a car accident in Florida. Yet this doesn’t mean there isn’t a ballpark estimate.
How fast you get your lost wages depends on your case, whether you have a PIP claim, or qualify for a third-party claim. When you work with one of our personal injury attorneys, they can give you a better idea about the timeline of your case and when you can expect to get compensation.
PIP Lost Wages Timeframe
It’s important to note that there are special rules, according to Florida Statute 627.736, about car accident victims that experience lost wages.
Ultimately, if you can’t work due to your injury and experience a loss of income, you can recover up to 60% of any gross income loss and earning capacity from an insurance company. Also, if you suffered injuries because of the at-fault driver’s negligence, then the at-fault driver’s insurance could be required to pay you the remaining 40% of your lost income.
If you go the PIP route, Florida law requires you to be paid or denied within 30 days. This means that you could receive your lost wages within this timeframe. Yet, this isn’t always the case and isn’t the most effective solution because PIP won’t cover all expenses.
Third-Party Lost Wages Timeframe
Since PIP often doesn’t cover all expenses, many car accident victims choose to file a claim with an insurance company or the negligent driver responsible for the accident in addition to filing a PIP claim.
Unfortunately, this route tends to be far more complicated and lengthier, so most people hire an attorney. Often car accident settlements can take a few weeks or months to years to finish, so you could be waiting for your lost wages for quite some time.
Yet, as soon as your case is resolved, you can expect to receive an insurance check within six weeks for your lost wages.
Speak With A Florida Car Accident Attorney Today To Discuss Your Lost Wages
Were you the victim of a car accident in Florida, and you want to recoup lost wages via an insurance claim or third-party lawsuit? If so, speak with one of our experienced Florida car accident lawyers at Hancock Injury Attorneys.
Our lawyers have years of experience helping car accident clients get lost wages. We’ll work to get you what you’re owed while you focus on your recovery, so contact us here to learn more about how we can help you.