Bringing Your Christmas Tree Home Safely
For many families, going to pick out and taking home a Christmas tree is an exciting and special tradition. The most important part of this process is actually getting it home. To ensure this happens we want to give you some tips on transporting the tree home, without damaging your car, or others.
- Before you go get your tree, make sure you have plenty of roping, bungee cords to tie your tree down. You also need to make sure your roof rack is secure and you have a way to secure the tree.
- Make sure the tree is netted: At most tree lots they put a netting over the tree. This is crucial as it makes the tree more compact and easier to tie down. Having it loose creates the risk that branches and needles will fall, and could block the driver’s view.
- Make sure the tree is put on the car with the base facing forward, so the wind flow is going the right way. If you have the top of the tree facing forward, you will be traveling against the grain of the branches and create unnecessary movement. Make sure the tree is centered as well, so there is a smaller effect on the car’s balance.
- Make sure your tree isn’t too big. You’re vehicle is only so big. The tree you get should fit on the roof comfortably.
- The tighter, the better. Make sure you wrap you rope or bungee cords around the tree first, than to the roof rack. It should be hard to move the tree if you secured it properly
- Drive with caution. You need to take things a little slower than you normally would. Avoid driving on highways, or at any high speed. This will lessen the chance of damage from wind and of the tree coming loose.
We hope everyone has a great holiday season and that these tips help you get your tree home sans accident!