Drownings in Florida Rise over 150% since 2019
With a significant increase of children at home in Florida due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic we are unfortunately seeing the subsequent rise of drowning accidents. In statistics collected by Water Smart Tots, since the start of 2020, there have already been 23 child drowning accidents. This alarming number is a wake-up call to all families with young children. Some preventive measures you can take include:
- Using barriers, fences, pool alarms, and safety locks so children cannot access pools easily and if they do without an adult’s knowledge an alarm will go off.
- Empower your child by enrolling them in swim classes that focus on self-rescue skills
- Always have supervision around pools or any bodies of water, even if all the children playing “can” swim, you never know what can happen.
Tampa Drowning Accident Attorneys
Slip and fall accidents, accidental drownings, and other swimming pool accidents often involve property owner negligence. Obtaining compensation for the victims usually requires a careful investigation of the conditions that led up to the accident.
Swimming pool injury and wrongful death cases are covered by an area of law known as premises liability. Property owners are responsible for maintaining their premises in a reasonably safe condition to protect guests from serious injury. Examples of property owner negligence may include:
- Unlocked gates
- Uncovered pools
- Areas surrounding a pool that become slippery when wet
- Lack of warning signs or life-saving equipment
- Negligent conditions at pools at foreclosed or vacant homes
Hancock Injury Attorneys handles injuries and drownings which occur at private pools, as well as pools in public settings such as hotels and amusement parks. Accidents occurring at private residences are usually covered by homeowner’s insurance.
If someone you or someone you know has been injured in a swimming pool accident, contact Tampa Attorney Mike Hancock at Hancock Injury Attorneys. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. He will answer your questions, make recommendations, and provide you with a free evaluation of your sinkhole case, all without obligation to use our legal services. You can also reach us by e-mail.