What is Pride Month?
According to The Library of Congress, Pride Month is celebrated during the month of June to commemorate the Stonewall Uprising, a major historical event for the Gay Liberation Movement in 1969. The designation of pride month as an official commemorative month in the US occurred in the mid 1990s. Today, various marches, events, and celebrations take place all month long across the country.
Who Can Celebrate Pride?
Everyone! While Pride Month started out with a heavy focus on lesbian and gay members of the LGBTQ+ community, today’s Pride Month recognizes a much wider spectrum of people. It is important to recognize the history and humble beginnings of Pride Month, and also important to celebrate the progress made to get to where we are today.
Pride Month Events in Tampa Bay
If you’re looking for events to celebrate Pride Month, look no further! The Tampa Bay Times published a list of local events happening all month long. Some of the events include:
- Official Pride Bar Crawl: Saturday, 6/11 at 5:00 PM – 2:00 AM in St. Pete
- Pride Pool Party: Sunday, 6/12 at 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM in Dunedin
- Stonewall Reception: Friday, 6/17 at 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM in St. Pete
- LGBTQ+ Youth Pride Prom: Friday, 6/17 at 7:00 PM – 11:00 PM in Riverview
- Shade of Pride: Juneteenth Celebration Sunday, 6/19 at 2:00 PM in St. Pete
Click here to read to complete list.