Gas & Your Car’s Fuel System: What is true and what is not
Keeping your car’s fuel system clean is a vital part of keeping your car in top shape, so it is operating safely. But, there are a lot of myths floating around about fuel systems. Here is what’s true, and what’s not:
- Starting your engine does not waste more gas than idling for half an hour.
- Fuel injection has basically eliminated gas waste
- Filling up with premium every once in while does not make your car run better
- Always fill up your vehicle with the fuel grade prescribed by the manufacturer
- If you are almost out of gas, turn off the A/C to conserve gas.
- The A/C and even the stereo and chargers put increased strain on the alternator, which increases engine demand- which uses more fuel.
- Bad gas is a term for all contaminated gasoline that won’t properly combust which causes issues such as:
- Hard Start-up
- Rough Idling
- Pinging sound
If you experience any of those types of difficulties, it is important to get your car checked out immediately to correct the issues in the fuel system. By being vigilant with your car you are not only protecting yourself from getting into a car accident, you are protecting those driving around you.