What Can You Do To Recover After Spinal Surgery?
Spinal surgery is an intense procedure. The spine is one of the most delicate parts of your body, so after getting a diskectomy, fusion or another kind of spinal surgery, it is important to do everything you can to recover. Your role in recovery is crucial.
In the Hospital
- With your goal being to become as active as soon as possible, it’s important to remember to increase activity slowly to protect your back and give it time to heal.
- Maintain a balanced, aligned position of comfort always. This is when you are resting, getting out of bad, transition to reclining, sitting, standing and eventually walking.
- Make sure you are taking medication when you do need it and taper off when you feel strong enough to.
- Do the rehab exercises regularly, hey will help you heal quickly and safely
Leaving the Hospital
- Let your doctor decide when you are ready to go home.
- Make sure you know your medication doses and when to take it.
- If you have to wear a brace or another assertive device, make sure you know how to put it on and use it.
- Make sure you have a physical therapist set-up at home, or are very aware of the stretches you learned
- When you get home you most avoid any strain or stress on the back. Make sure someone helps you with getting in and out of the car/building.
- Daily Activities will probably be full of pain. Use your medication and make sure your body is aligned when standing, sitting or laying down.
- Even be careful we doing things as simple as going to the bathroom. Follow our doctor’s orders
- Use helping devices search as reachers, elevated toilet seats or railings.
- Cal your doctor if ou notice a new pain or weakneess, have problems going to the bathroom or fever and extreme headaches.
Most Importantly: Ask friends and family for help and support when you need it.
After getting in a car accident, you might have to have spinal surgery. Make sure you do everything you are able to do to recover speedily and healthily.