Over the years, Attorney Mike Hancock has formulated exactly what clients should do after getting into a car accident. He also knows what clients should NEVER do after a car crash, whether it is the fault of someone else or their fault. These things could all potentially harm your case if you did not cause the accident.
- DO NOT Leave the Scene: It might be common sense to most, but we see it time and time again. never leave the scene of an accident.
- NEVER Claim Responsibility: After an accident, even if it wasn’t your fault, many people feel compelled to say “I’m sorry”. When there may be comparative fault (fault on both sides) this could immensely harm your case. Wait for the police to show up and be honest and give them the facts of what happened but do not admit fault. The only information that should be exchanged with the other driver is your name, vehicle, make model, year, color, and VIN, and your auto insurance company information and contact.
- DO NOT Sign Anything Unofficial: Only sign documents given to you by the police, a doctor or your own insurer. Again, only say facts, never opinion. Documents that are official, make sure you read thoroughly before signing, and if you don’t agree with it, DO NOT sign it.
- NEVER Get Visibly Angry: Try your hardest not to wear your heart on your sleeve. Even if you are mad and want to get angry, don’t let the others involved see, as being angry will only make things worse. Stay calm and show respect to everyone around you, even if they are not doing the same for you. Listen to the police’s instructions and their thoughts on the accident.
- DO NOT Talk to the Other Party’s Insurance Company: The other party’s insurer wants you to settle as quickly as possible, as to get you to accept the lowest offer. They will try to act friendly and ask you to record a statement, and then use that against you to settle. Wait until you hire an attorney, and our attorney will take care of talking to the adjuster for all future contact.
By not doing these things you are protecting your rights. At Hancock Injury Attorneys, we will be able to negotiate with the insurance company and make sure you are getting the compensation you truly deserve.