Choosing a car accident lawyer is probably the most important thing to do after getting in a car accident in which you were injured by the at-fault party. But there are certain necessary steps to take before rushing into choosing a lawyer that can mean all the difference in your case.
Firstly know that your car crash happened because the other driver broke traffic laws in one way or another. Whether it was drunk driving, distracted driving or something else, they were the ones that were negligent. When you become a car crash victim, unfortunately you are inundated with phone calls from your insurance, their insurance, police, doctors and more. This added stress gets in the way of your recovery time, and unfortunately your health in many cases might get put on the back burner.
When you hire a car accident lawyer, that stress can be somewhat alleviated as they are the ones representing you for all those insurance calls. But what should you do before choosing a car accident lawyer? Here are 3 crucial steps:
Do Your Research
- Ask friends and families if they recommend any lawyers.
- Use Google to find car accident lawyers in your area.
- Go to different attorney websites and compare their experience level, case results, area of expertises.
- Look for a lawyer with more than 20 years of experiences handling motor vehicle accidents. Make sure to see if they are recognized by any well-known lawyer ranking associations. For example, SuperLawyers, Martindale-Hubbell and Million Dollar Advocate Forum.
After Initial Research, Read Reviews
- Reviews are one of the best ways to determine the strength of a lawyer or law firm. Read Reviews on Google, Yelp and Avvo. Hearing what other people who have hired the lawyer/law firm have to say about their experience with the lawyer.
- Go to the firm’s Facebook or other social media and see what clients are saying about the law firm. Does the firm seem like they are active online and will be responsive to your questions? Do they already have questions you have answered on their blog or website?
Call and Schedule a Phone Call or Consultation
- Call the law firm you deem the most experienced and able to adequately handle your case and schedule a call with the attorney or an initial (always free) consultation. If you are told that you won’t be meeting with a lawyer directly, we advise you seek out another lawyer. For example, at Hancock Injury Attorneys, you will always meet with Attorney Mike Hancock for your initial consultation; not a paralegal, or other assistant.
- Remember, just because you meet with a lawyer doesn’t mean you have to hire them. If you don’t feel comfortable in the initial consultation, it is probably best to look for another firm that you do feel comfortable with. Remember that your case would be in their hands. And if you aren’t confident that the firm will handle it in the best way possible, than look for someone else.
With more than 28 years of plaintiff and defense experience in personal injury litigation, Tampa car accident lawyer Mike Hancock is dedicated to achieving justice for you by holding negligent drivers and their insurance companies accountable for paying for all your losses.
Insurance companies are familiar with Hancock Injury Attorneys’ record of verdicts and settlements in motor vehicle accidents. This includes notable recoveries of $1 million or more. They know our car accident attorneys are thoroughly prepared to take your case to trial. And they know he has the experience and resources to determine liability and build a case for your economic and personal damages, whatever the circumstances.